Monday, October 02, 2006

Titans DE Haynesworth suspended 5 games

The big story stemming from yesterday action is the bush-league maneuver by Tennessee Titan defensive end Albert Haynesworth. During the Titans 45-14 loss to the Cowboys, Haynesworth was in on a play at the goal line when Cowboy running back Julius Jones scored on a 5-yd run. In the ensuing pile up, Cowboy center Andre Gurode found himself lying on the turf with his helmet off.

For reasons unexplainable, even by Haynesworth himself, Bad Albert decided to step on Gurode's head & face while he was in that defenseless position. Twice. Gurode was immediately seen grabbing his head and needed medical attention, and Haynesworth was issued a misconduct penalty and tossed from the game.

Today the commissioner's office handed down the punishment for this stupid and classless act: a 5 games suspension, the longest ever in the history of the NFL. Gurode ended up receiving 30 stitches to his head, and to his credit Haynesworth was contrite after the act: "I apologize to Andre," he said Sunday. "What I did was disgusting. It's something that should never happen. I mean, I'm not a dirty player. I don't play dirty. I have respect for the game. What I feel like is I disgraced the game, disgraced my team and disgraced my last name."
Those words are a good starting point, Albert. But your actions are going to remain in people's minds, especially Andre Gurode's, for a long time.

No comments: